Quang Ho Workshop – “No fear, No ego!”

One of my paintings from the workshop and the reference.

If someone would have told me a couple of years ago that I would get to study with both Quang Ho and Scott Christensen in one year, I would have told them they were crazy! However, I was fortunate to take a workshop with Quang in Nashville this past fall. Organized by my mentor, the fabulous Lori Putnam, it was an experience I will never forget for several reasons. First and foremost, Quang Ho is a Master. He is not only a Master painter, but in my opinion (and I am VERY picky about teaching because of my teaching background), he is a Master teacher. He is not only encouraging to everyone, no matter what their current level of painting is, but he is so sharing and giving of what he has learned and is learning about art and painting and even life in general. His excitement during the entire workshop was so endearing and you really just wanted to put him in your pocket and take him home with you by the end of the workshop (someone said this and I just had to repeat it)! Lots of teachers are nice, so the word nice is such a cliche word for me to use to describe him, but he is just so darn NICE! There. I said it anyway. He is nice and puts you at ease when talking, visiting, and painting with him.

But let me talk about the workshop. One of the other reasons I really enjoyed this workshop was because it had some of my favorite painters in the workshop along with me! Some of my friends and teachers that I have had for workshops before were learning to stretch themselves and try new things in Quang’s workshop. A little intimidating at first, maybe, but so fun to see so many good painters and paint along with them.

Quang’s focus on this workshop was plein air painting, and the weather was just perfect for us in the Nashville area. We painted at some great locations around Nashville and really enjoyed true fall weather in the South. Quang spent time doing demos to illustrate ways that we as artists need to learn to say “what if?” What if I try this, or what if I try that? As artists, Quang encouraged us to have “no fear, no ego” when it comes to painting. I need to paint that on my forehead or at least on my painting palette so I can see it when I get stuck on something or am afraid of “messing up” a painting. It was freeing to have him encourage us to try things and I really came out of that workshop with a new outlook on things. I have included some of my favorite pictures from the workshop along with this post for your viewing pleasure.

Love seeing other artists’ palettes!

If you are not familiar with him, I would encourage you to get his “Nuts and Bolts” DVD. It is well worth it and he talks about some approaches to paintings that are an invaluable part of my painting process today. As I have said before about other teachers, if you ever get the chance to study with him, take it! You won’t be sorry!

I always get a photo with my teacher! Just for memories!

17 Responses
  • Kathy Cousart on February 6, 2013

Amazing time y’all had! Love reading your thoughts about it and you are lucky indeed. I can see where all the fabulous teachers and learnings have paid off for you. Love the barn! Wonderful job on that! Love Quang Ho and appreciate reading more about him:) Thanks!

• admin on February 7, 2013

Thanks Kathy! I do love workshops for lots of reasons!

• Maria Bennett Hock on February 6, 2013

Such a great blogpost and sounds like a great class. I will be taking one of his workshops in October…I was looking forward to it but now I am VERY excited!!! thanks for sharing all this info!

• admin on February 7, 2013

Well, Maria, you are in for a treat! Unforgettable experience as an artist!

• Carol DeMumbrum on February 6, 2013

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Denise! I was just talking to someone who was at that workshop. She was also saying what a wonderful time she had and how it has changed the way she paints. Love your barn painting! I will have to check out his DVD. 🙂

• admin on February 7, 2013

Thanks Carol! It was great and I love sharing things I learn with others. It is the way I have learned so much and continue to learn.

• Lori Putnam on February 6, 2013

You are amazing!

• admin on February 7, 2013

You are too! Thanks for the kind words Teacher!

• Mary Maxam on February 6, 2013

Thanks for the post Denise, i envy you the experience- looks great and I will look up that DVD- love his work!

• admin on February 7, 2013

Yes, Mary, take a look at the Nuts and Bolts one first. I know people have gotten the others also and loved them but the Nuts and Bolts one has information that applies to all subjects.

• Bruce Bingham on February 6, 2013

Hi Denise, you did well! I’d love to take a workshop with him. I’ve bought all his DVD’s and they are fantastic. But a workshop would be better!

• admin on February 7, 2013

Yes, Bruce, I think you are right! But so thankful he is a sharing kind of artist and made the DVDs also. He doesn’t teach that many workshops and I feel blessed to have taken one with him.

• Aimee on February 6, 2013

Denise–Thanks so much for sharing this. I’ve been lucky enough to attend a few Quang demos here in Denver–always a visual treat! I like the way you handled the trees by your barn. FYI, I was thrilled to hear Quang mention that he’s working on a landscape DVD during his AMO Art Chat interview a few weeks ago. Thanks again and happy painting adventures in 2013!

• admin on February 7, 2013

Thanks Aimee! You are fortunate to be there in Denver! And I can’t wait for the landscape DVD. I am sure it will be as great as the others!

• Diana Moses Botkin on March 6, 2013

I followed your link from another spot and am glad I did. The workshop sounds very inspiring, as do the videos. I’ll be on the lookout. Thanks for sharing!

• admin on March 8, 2013

Thanks so much Diana! It was a great workshop and I love his videos also. Quang said at the workshop that he is working on a plein air video now too, so can’t wait for that one to come out! Thank you for reading and commenting!

• Candice on June 2, 2013

Really enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing all your experiences. Keeping my eyes peeled for a Quang Ho workshop!

Comment on this post